Glass Banister: Truly Original Choice
The glass is a truly versatile material. That is why it is so widely used in the construction of the modern residential and commercial premises. The main advantage of glass is its transparency due to which it looks weightless, perfectly permits light through, and visually enlarges any space.
Consequently, glass banister is a great solution for small and/or inadequately lighted areas. Thus, in the places where wooden or forged stair balustrade would create an oppressive impression glass gives a feeling of lightness and spaciousness.
In fact, glass remains quite an exotic material for making stairs and banisters. However, it is worth mentioning that the ordinary staircases are constantly evolving. It also relates to the design and construction.
Therefore, the glass banisters are the truly original choice of extraordinary people who can afford such bold decisions in their interior. Indeed, a wide range of glass and various accessories allows you to turn into reality almost any glass stair banister design.
Basic Requirements for Glass Banister
It is clear that an important interior design item such as glass banister must meet some basic requirements. They are:
- Security. It is necessary to properly install the glass panels in compliance with all the safety standards.
- Comfort. Glass fencing should be mounted at the height comfortable for people walking along it. At the same time, the balustrade height must prevent hanging over it.
- Aesthetic appearance. A glass balustrade should please the eye and keep up with general interior design style.
As for glass itself, the very first requirement for this material is, of course, high strength. However, there are also three more significant requirements:
- The glass sheet thickness must be uniform over the entire glass surface.
- The surface of the glass stair banister must be absolutely flat.
- The maximum permissible error of the glass product must not exceed 0.7 mm.
However, there are no requirements for the design of glass banisters. Thus, highly qualified professionals can implement any design idea when making glass banisters.
Nuances of Glass Banister Installation
A glass banister is a quite complex structure in terms of transportation and installation. The major way to assemble glass fence systems is a mechanical assembly. It implies the use of special fittings. Of course, the best decision is to entrust the assembly and installation of the glass balustrade to the specialists. Thus, only specialists can install glass fencing for you correctly.
Besides, the production of a glass stair banister demands a well thought-out work with the glass elements of the construction. The main problems may occur if:
- The glass edges have even minimal chips. With the lapse of time, the chips can destroy the integrity of banister.
- The glass corners are damaged. In this case, it is no longer possible to use the glass fencing.
- There are notches on the glass surface. Over time, this will lead to structural stress. As a result, the glass strength considerably decreases.
If you need to repair your glass fence system, usually it is just enough to dismantle the part of the fencing and replace it with a new one. However, sometimes, it is necessary to replace banister completely.
Fittings for Glass Banister
It is impossible to manufacture a glass banister using the glass only. Anyway, some metal fittings are required. However, the modern technologies offer mounting options which create the feeling 100% glazed fence system.
Basically, special posts and buttons are used to support the glass panels. In most cases, the fittings are made of stainless steel. Often, these fittings are barely noticeable. Banister fittings may require manufacturing holes or special cuts. Consequently, only highly experienced specialists who have necessary equipment can make them.
The highly skilled professionals from our London-based glass studio have the extensive experience in manufacturing and installing exquisite glass fence systems. At your request, we can also replace banister which you already have with a top-quality new one.
We create all glass balustrade designs taking into account the features of a particular room or building. So, you can be sure that the design solution which we offer you will fit perfectly into your interior. We invite you to see the examples of projects we have successfully completed and contact our support team for more information now.